Commercials

Saturday 16 March 2013

THE HIGHEST LEVEL OF UNPROFESSIONAL JOURNALISM



For a whole week I kept seeing the phrase "My oga at the top" every where I looked. On the different social media, newspapers, my BBM contacts display messages etc. This phrase and whatever story was behind it had gone viral and yet I did not know what was going on! For those who do not know, 'Oga' means Boss in Nigerian Pigin English.

I made some enquiries and finally got to see the source- a live interview granted by the Lagos State Commandant of The Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps to Channels Television, a Nigerian local media house.

Of course, to be quite honest, my initial reaction to the video was an outburst of laughter but then after a short while and perhaps two to three more views it finally hit me. The high level of unprofessionalism exhibited by the two co-hosts of the program was to say the least sickening! They seemed to have forgotten they were on live TV and the interview was what it should be- an interview not a court trial! The man was bullied into ridiculing himself, his office, and the nation at large. And these are supposed to be award winning journalists who should know better on how to conduct live interviews. What happened to pre-interview off camera briefs? Or perhaps the plan from the onset was to bring the man to their studio to make him a laughing stock to create some comic relief in these hard times!

I personally think the Nigerian Union of Journalists and perhaps the Channels Television management should call these two to order.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Your comments are priceless!